Does the thought of your child being able to compose a song sound intimidating or impossible?
It doesn’t have to be either of those things! In 16 years of teaching, I’ve learned that even my littlest students (as young as 4-years-old!) are completely capable of creating their own musical compositions. It is amazing and exciting to watch their creativity and confidence grow as they strengthen their musical skills and develop deeper levels of musical understanding.
HERE'S WHAT YOU CAN EXPECT IN THIS COURSE:
A Supportive Community
THE COMPOSITION COURSE CONSISTS OF 14 LESSONS IN 4 MODULES:
MODULE 1: BASIC TOOLS
In this module, I teach basic composition tools that even Level 1 piano students can utilize. We listen to examples of the techniques in famous works of music and practice applying them to our own “practice” composition. In these 5 lessons, your child will learn:
- How to compose a rhythm story
- What a motive is and how to compose one
- How to play with the motive using repetition, sequence and retrograde
MODULE 2: INTERMEDIATE TOOLS
In these 2 lessons, we’ll learn and practice 2 additional composition tools:
- How to compose a question and answer in music (parallel or contrasting)
- How to change octaves to add variey
MODULE 3: ADVANCED TOOLS
I’ll teach ways to spice up the composition by playing with the rhythm of the motive in these 3 lessons, where your child willl learn:
- Rhythmic diminution and augmentation
- Shifting the rhythm
MODULE 4: FINISHING TOUCHES
Now that we’ve spent many lessons practicing each individual composition tool, we put what we’ve learned into practice to create an exciting piece of music. These final four lessons will teach your child:
- How to improve the LH accompaniment by adding richness and variety
- Ways to come up with concrete inspiration for a composition
- The finishing touches — articulation, dynamics, tempo and title (includes many helpful charts and checklists!)
BUSY KIDS DO COMPOSING COURSE
- Full, instant access to 14 step-by-step composition lessons
- Downloadable materials, including exercises, checklists, charts, staff paper and parent tips
- Unlimited Support
Frequently Asked Questions
Does my child need to be a member of the Busy Kids Do Piano program to take this course?
I already subscribe to the Busy Kids Do Piano program. Do I have access to this, too?
If you’re a monthly or annual subscriber, you will need to purchase this course separately in order to have access to the lessons.